Friday, August 16, 2013

Emily Alexis Sommerfeldt

Last night we welcomed Emily Alexis Sommerfeldt to our family.

She was born at 11:23 pm at Memorial Herrman Hospital in Katy. Labor went well. I began having contractions early in the morning and thought I might be in labor since I don't have (or don't feel) contractions usually. Since we thought I might be in labor, Bruce took the day off of work. I went to the doctor mid morning to see if I was in labor, or not. She said I probably was, but did not need to go to the hospital yet. I waited until early evening, about 4 pm and then decided I was ready to got o the hospital. We dropped the girls at Kevin and Laurel's house and headed to the hospital.

After they checked me in and started the IV of fluids and antibiotics (for the Strep B) the contractions stopped, so I went to sleep. :)

When I woke up there were a few contractions, but not as forceful as I thought they should be, so I walked around, talked to the nurse about options, and waited. At about 10pm I decided that I was ready to have a baby and that we should give her a Aug 15th birthday rather than an Aug 16th (we like that date more, easier to remember) :) and asked the nurse to start petocin. They did, and labor picked up. A bit later I had the doctor break my water. Shortly after, we had a healthy baby Emily. It was a great labor experience and expect to also do the next delivery without an epidural.

Recovery went well, beside passing out the first time I stood up and being freezing in the hospital (no wonder the hospital bill is so much, it takes a lot of money to keep the hospital at 60 degrees when the outdoor temperature is 100 degrees).

The next day Bruce and the girls came to visit, and we went home.









No comments: