Monday, November 30, 2009

Busy, Busy, No Baby.

Class and Baby
Monday and Tuesday we had class. Tuesday we visited the midwife. Baby sounded normal and I measured just a little dilated. They stripped my membranes which can cause you to go into labor… nice thought, but no such luck. Wednesday night I had some good contractions Tuesday night and we thought that I might go into labor but the contractions stopped. I went for a run to try and get them going again, but Hailey is a little too free-spirited for that nonsense so I closed the evening by baking Bruce pies.

Projects
With a short week of school Bruce and I were able to get quite a few projects completed.
The baby hammock and stand with a sugar baby for the test run.

Baby Hammock
Bruce designed a hammock stand and we bought parts for it and built it. He sanded, stained, and varnished it while I made the fabric portion of the hammock. The stand is designed so it will break down and store neatly or transport. Hopefully Opal will love it because I do! I made the greenish-blue curtains and amended the brown ones so they would hang the same way.

Curtains

Months ago we bought material to make new curtains but I never actually got them sewn, so over the break I finally tackled the project and finished the living room curtains.

Table

Painting the table black is another project that we started, but put on hold. Bruce sanded and painted the orange half of the table, so it now matches its other half. We still have a few orange chairs to sit under our black table, but we’ll finish those up soon.

Apples

I dehydrated some apples from Scott and Lisa’s tree. They are delicious.

Diaper Bag

Lisa (mother-in-law) is making Hailey a quilt and had some quilting squares left over so she gave them to me. I’m working on a diaper bag. It’s close to finished, but not quite, so I’ll post pictures when it’s finished.

Research Participants

Bruce and his childhood friend Mark Jensen were my research participants over the break. Bruce was really ornery- he provided lots of suggestions about how I could make the study better, none of which were useful- but Mark behaved and their participation allowed me to get a little closer to finished.



Thanksgiving
On Thursday, Bruce played in a Turkey Bowl in his parents ward while I watched, then we went to Salt Lake for Thanksgiving dinner with Bruce’s extended family. Bruce and I both played in a Turkey Bowl with the family.

Football
On Friday night we went to the BYU football fireside. It was fun to see 200+ lb linebackers play the violin, and the whole team sing- unique talents for football players. (Not to be stereotypical….). The team puts on a fireside before every game, so the next time they play in your area you should attend. The fireside Friday was a good introduction for the big game on Saturday.
BYU played the University of Utah. BYU was ahead by 14 at the half, but Utah made a comeback and put the game into overtime. Utah scored 3 points in overtime, and then BYU made a touchdown to win the game. After the play the stadium erupted. Bruce grabbed my hand and we ran onto the field with thousands of other people. Bruce says that we can tell Opal that she got to storm the field. It was really cool! And because the crowd was so wild, traffic was light on the ride home, and we didn’t have to cruise past everyone on the left like we usually do after the game. (Don’t worry, we only do it on the side streets where traffic is stopped waiting to turn left. When we get on the busy streets we abide by the traffic laws).

BYU Football Field (We're somewhere near the goal post on the right)

Hopefully we’ll have a baby this week. I’ll post pictures when she gets here.

2 comments:

Lisa Sommerfeldt said...

Rachel,
You do a wonderful job on your blog. I like the hammock you guys made for Opal and the curtains also look great. Have a great day.

Lisa

Unknown said...

Do you think you could share the hammock design? Thanks