Sunday, November 22, 2009

Vinyl
Kevin, Bruce's brother, was at BYU doing some recruiting for the accounting firm he works for last week, so we had him bring us some vinyl (His wife has a vinyl cutting machine). We put Haliey's name on the wall and embellished it with cute flowers. Thanks Kevin and Laurel! And with that addition, Hailey's room is finished.
Blankets
Some cold weather blew in for a few days and we only have single pane windows so it was hard to keep the apartment warm so I took some blankets from our collection and hung them in the windows. It seems to have worked pretty well- between the blanket, the blinds, and the curtains the window is at least better insulated. And the whole experience is a good reminder why we NEVER install single-pane windows.
Volleyball
Bruce had two volleyball games this week. The normal intramural season ended last week, so both games this week were tournament games. They won the first, which qualified them for the second. They also won the second, so after the Thanksgiving break he'll have another game. They have to win 4 games to win the championship. They aren't that good so we probably have another game or two before they are eliminated, but we'll see.
Squatters
Friday I went to Salt Lake for a meeting and then went shopping at an outlet store.I picked up a couple shirts for a great deal and enjoyed the outing. When I arrived home the office/Hailey's room was full of boys. Bruce's accounting group had come to work on an assignment. One of the guys informed me that my husband is a genius. (I already knew this of course) Bruce used the program while he was serving in the office on his mission and his familiarity allowed him to work much faster and help the others with they assignment. The group returned Saturday morning to resume the party and topped the ordeal with pizza. Not a bad trade-off.
Football, Battery, Dinner
We sent the team home around 1PM so we could make it to the BYU-Air Force game. BYU won. One of Bruce's mission companions drove from CO for the game and was going to join us for dinner. We had about an hour between the game and when Ryan would come over, so we studied for a half hour and then went to have the car battery checked (we've had some trouble getting the car to start-especially on cold mornings. It's not a big problem since we have the scooter, but it could make going to the hospital more memorable) and stop and the store. AutoZone tested the battery and confirmed that it needs to be replaced. The test took any juice the battery had and the car wouldn't start. We tried to push start it (Bruce has push started cars more so he drove while another guy -who offered to help- and I pushed, but we couldn't push fast enough so then Bruce tried to push and I tried to start it) but couldn't get it to start. The guy who helped us push pulled his car over and we jumped the battery. Because of the unstable nature of the battery, I sat in the car while Bruce ran into the store, and we made it back to our house just as Ryan Norris (the mission companion) arrived. We enjoyed a dinner and a short visit with Ryan and finished the evening with homework, TV, and sleeping on the couch (that's what I do while Bruce watched TV and does homework).
Research
With delivery just around the corner, I've been trying to get my research finished. I was able to finish the data collection for a few participants (half of the subjects are finished) and recruited a few more. I applied to present at the Undergraduate Research Conference which will be held in St. George in February.Rachel 38.5 weeks
Hailey
Hailey behaves most of the time and I don't even notice that I'm pregnant until I try to run (I can manage a slow trot but I look retarded and get sore, so for the last 2 weeks I've avoided it) or look down at the bulging belly. Bruce thinks she'll be born Monday, November 23 (He wants her to be born then so she can go to the last football game of the season- BYU vs UofU, on Saturday). I think she'll be born on Dec 8th (it's more convenient if she's a week overdue because then I only miss the last 2 days of class and have "reading days" to study). So depending on when she's born, we'll know who her favorite parent.

1 comment:

Sarah Merritt said...

congrats you finally really look pregnant! and dang adorable... wheres all the funny swelling i got? and how come you don't look like your butt got as big as your belly!? I'm excited to see Miss Hailey when she gets here!